34 Dodd Street, Wembley

Western Australia 6014

Contact Us Here

Who We Are

Our History

Prior to 1921, there were no formal facilities or premises for Deaf people in WA. Informal gatherings often took place at the Levitzke family bakery in Midland. On 9 July 1921, twelve Deaf people met at the home of R.B. Jeffrey’s parents at 47 Railway Parade, Mt Lawley. It was at this meeting that a committee was formed.

The Society was recognised by the Register of Companies on the 31 January 1930 as the “The Western Australian Adult Deaf and Dumb Society”.

During an Annual General Meeting on 28 September 1968, a majority vote by members led to the Society being renamed as ‘The Western Australian Deaf Society’.

The Society began a strategic review process in 2015 and as a result of the feedback received determined that a brand refresh was required to support its strategic direction to diversify service offerings, strengthen existing and develop new partnerships, and ensure access to more services. In 2018 the new brand of AccessPlus WA Deaf was launched.